Ever since my changes at the job, this challenge has been pushed to the way back burner. In the meantime, I am going back to the original document of PAYING journals and adding the payment amounts to my public Google document of the journals and zines that are free to submit to.
I do need to confirm the payment amounts and reading periods, though. This is the current project. Check it out and make a copy for yourself.
Let me know in the comments if you are submitting anywhere or if you have in the past what your experience is. :-)
Thanks for reading,
If you would like an email for non blog related (mostly) poetry related updates every month or two CLICK HERE
SUBMISSION PERIOD STARTS NOVEMBER 15
From the side bar of their website:
Blackbird was founded in 2002 as a joint venture of the Virginia Commonwealth University Department of English and New Virginia Review, Inc.
From their editorial policy page:
Blackbird: an online journal of literature and the arts offers visitors from around the world outstanding fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and reviews, as well as plays, visual art, new media, and video essays, which we present in inventive arrangements with an eye toward revealing the process of their creation.
From their submissions page:
Blackbird is published twice a year. Our reading period is from November 15, 2016 to April 15, 2017. Unsolicited submissions received outside of the reading period will be disregarded.
Poetry: Send up to six poems at a time. Single-space, please; set your poem as you want it to appear on the printed page. (If submitting online, put all poems into one document, as the submissions software will not allow you to submit individual poems separately.)
– Send one prose piece or two to six poems at a time, and please submit genres separately.
– Blackbird does not accept previously published work.
– Simultaneous submissions are acceptable so long as they are indicated as such and we are immediately notified upon acceptance elsewhere.
– Translations are welcome so long as permissions have been obtained from the author.
– Online submissions are strongly preferred, though Blackbird will accept submissions by regular mail; mailed submissions may take longer to process.
– We are able to publish long works in all genres, but query Blackbird before you send a prose piece over 8,000 words or a poem exceeding 10 pages.